Tyre Loving Care – Falken offers TLC tips for tyre whilst vehicles are laid up
With the lockdown restricting how much we can use our cars for extended periods, tyre brand Falken suggests some quick tips to prevent damage that can occur during longer lay ups.
1. Now’s the perfect time to inspect your tyres. Check for uneven tread wear as well as any cuts, bulges in the sidewall. In the tread surface, check for nails and screws embedded in the tyre and if there are stones lodged in the tread, carefully remove these.
2. Are all the valve caps present? Valve caps prevent dirt and moisture from getting in the valve and causing issues. Replace any missing ones.
3. Check tyre pressures and increase them by around 15PSI over the standard recommended pressure whilst the car is laid up. This will prevent damage and potential flat spots. Put a note inside the car to remind you to return the pressures to normal when you start using it again.
4. If you are planning on laying up your car for an even longer period, consider jacking the car up so the tyres aren’t in contact with the ground. So-called ‘tyre trainers’ that support the tyre to minimise flat spots and premature perishing, are another option.
5. If you can, put the car in a garage. The darker and cooler conditions will protect the tyres. If your car is outside, tyre covers, made from a reflective aluminium material, are also an option to shield from sunlight and other weather damage.
6. If you have a spare set of cold weather tyres, make sure they are stored in a cool, dry, dark place away from oils and solvents that could damage them.
If you have any queries or questions about tyres, Falken recommends getting them inspected by a tyre dealer once restrictions lift.